Legal Question in Traffic Law in California

A few days ago i was involved in a incident (20002cvc) and failed to inform the owner of the parked car. The next day i received a notice from the police department asking me to contact them so i did however the officer was no longer in the station at the time ( went on his days off) and wont be back till 06/17/2016. I left two messages for the office and even went down to the station but i have not yet heard back from him. This would be a first time offence for me so what kind of punishment can i expect? Why has the office not gotten back to me? How does this procedure usually go? Thank you!

Asked on 6/17/16, 1:35 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Joe Dane Law Office of Joe Dane

For this situation, it's worth getting an attorney. Why?

You're being investigated for a misdemeanor. It can potentially carry jail time, probation, a conviction on your record and two points against your driving record which could impact your insurance rates, etc.

If you get a good local criminal defense attorney, there is a chance that this can be worked out before it gets referred to the prosecutor's office for the filing of criminal charges. If charges are filed, you'll still need an attorney to represent you. There are procedures to resolve this without a conviction, but it's got to be done right.

Don't focus on punishment - focus on getting an attorney and avoiding a conviction if you can.

Read more
Answered on 6/17/16, 1:40 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Traffic Law questions and answers in California