Legal Question in Traffic Law in California

I received a traffic citation for no insurance on a vehicle i had purchased 2 days prior to receiving the ticket. Shortly after that the vehicle was stolen and i moved from fairfield,ca to Los Angeles, ca thats a 7 hour drive. Now my license is suspended and I have a warrant in fairfield. Is there a way to go to court on it without having to travel all the way there?

Asked on 5/16/16, 6:42 am

2 Answers from Attorneys

Joe Dane Law Office of Joe Dane

Unfortunately, the jurisdiction for the citation is where the violation occurred. It will have to be handled in he county where this happened. If you don't want to make the drive yourself, you can retain a local criminal defense attorney that can appear in your behalf.

Read more
Answered on 5/16/16, 7:14 am
James Smith Palladium Law Group

The fact the car was stolen means nothing in this case. The fact you were cited only 2 days after purchasing is likewise irrelevant, as is the distance between L.A. and Fairfield. The issue is that you were cited for driving a car without insurance. You should have taken out insurance after purchasing but before you drove it.

My guess is that your license was suspended b/c you failed to appear on your written promise to do so. Call the Fairfield Courthouse and ask how much you owe. Once you pay it, the court will notify DMV to release the license suspension.

Read more
Answered on 5/16/16, 10:18 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Traffic Law questions and answers in California