Legal Question in Wills and Trusts in California


I am seeking legal help with my late husband's will and trust. We were married for 10 years, and had four children together. He passed away 13 years ago. He was a small farmer and 72% owner of the family liquor store, which he passed on to me in his will and trust. His twin siblings are the trustees of the will and trust, but have not followed through on their duties as trustees. The liquor store license was sold two years ago, and to date, I have not received payment of my 72% of the sale. I have contacted them regarding this, however, my requests have been ignored.

I am special education teacher, and moved to a different county for a job. Am I required to have an attorney from the county I previously lived in for my case?

Asked on 8/08/17, 2:47 pm

2 Answers from Attorneys

Scott Jordan Jordan Law Office

No, you can hire any attorney who is licensed in California and willing to accept you as a client. I would suggest hiring an attorney as it seems that the trustees are taking advantage of you.

Read more
Answered on 8/08/17, 2:53 pm
Timothy McCormick Haapala, Thompson & Abern, LLP

I agree with Mr. Jordan's answer, but would add that the probated division in many counties is a "home town" department, where attorneys who regularly appear there have an advantage. So wherever the attorney you hire is located, it should be somewhere close enough to the county where your husband passed away in order to practice in that county on a regular basis.

Read more
Answered on 8/08/17, 3:48 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Probate, Trusts, Wills & Estates questions and answers in California