Legal Question in Family Law in Colorado

In a common law marriage (Colorado) am I required to claim my spouse on my taxes if she lives in my house? She has not filled in years and probably owes back taxes. Could I be held responsible for her tax debt?

Asked on 8/12/16, 2:11 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Stephen Harkess Colorado Legal Solutions

If you are married then you need to either file Married Filing Jointly or Married Filing Separate. There are some circumstances where your spouse's tax debt could affect you and you may need to file an innocent spouse declaration to avoid that in those circumstances.

Read more
Answered on 8/12/16, 2:40 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Colorado