Legal Question in Wills and Trusts in Colorado

My father just died and we cannot find his lawyer. It appears that he has stopped practicing and we don't know what steps to take to ensure his estate is settled.

Asked on 2/28/17, 1:47 pm

2 Answers from Attorneys

Robert Murillo Pivotal Legal Ltd.

I am sorry for your loss. If he passed in Colorado, you need to start probate in the county where he passed. Find his will and the appointed personal representative needs to enter the will and start the process. If there is no will, then probate must still proceed but the court will then appoint someone.

Get legal advice to ensure that the estate is settled as required under law.

Read more
Answered on 2/28/17, 3:16 pm
Dave Rich Flatiron Legal Advisors, LLC

I am sorry for your loss as well. If you have the will, you need to file it with the court. It sounds like you do not. Any probate lawyer, such as our firm, can help you with the estate, as it is common that the prior lawyer cannot be found or is no longer practicing.

The first question then is whether you need to open a probate estate, whether you have a will or not. This will depend on what assets your father owned. If you cannot locate his will, then you have to file for probate, if needed, as an intestate estate. We work in all Colorado counties, and we offer a free 20 minute initial consultation if you want to talk over the estate. I hope this helps.

Read more
Answered on 3/03/17, 11:53 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Probate, Trusts, Wills & Estates questions and answers in Colorado