Legal Question in Family Law in Connecticut

I live in Connecticut and I have sole physical and legal custody of my children after a long divorce. My ex husband has not contacted or seen my children in over three years per his own choice. If I make a will can I list my family to have custody of my children if I were to pass unexpectedly?

Asked on 4/09/20, 3:37 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

John Heffernan Heffernan Legal Group, LLP

You can, and should, nominate someone as guardian of your minor children in your will. The law in Connecticut is that the surviving parent is the first choice for guardian unless there is a good reason not to appoint him. Sounds like there is a good reason. A probate court would make the decision, but it would be important for the court to know your choice in the matter, and your will is where you make your wishes known.

Read more
Answered on 4/10/20, 6:52 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Connecticut