Legal Question in Landlord & Tenant Law in District of Columbia

I live in one of my father's houses and I don't pay him rent. I was suppose to pay him rent but before I moved in my job reduce my hours to 3 days a week and then fazed me out and he still let me move in. Can I sue him if he lets things in the house break down and takes awhile to get them fixed or replaced?

Asked on 6/03/10, 10:52 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

John H. Pye, Jr. John H. Pye, Jr.

No you cannot sue because basically you are living in your father's house as a guest. Since you do not pay him to stay there if you tried to sue him all he would have to do is terminate your privilege as a guess and tell you to leave.

Read more
Answered on 6/04/10, 6:30 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Landlord & Tenants questions and answers in District of Columbia