Legal Question in Personal Injury in District of Columbia

I was in a cycling accident a few days ago that was caused by an automobile that pulled out into the road and abruptly stopped without looking to see the pack of 20 cyclists coming toward him. I had to brake and swerve to avoid him, causing the cyclist behind me to hit my left leg and bring us both down. On the way to the ground, the front of my bike hit the side of the van. Clearly the van was at fault but I am waiting to hear from the officer to see what the police report indicates. I was taken the the hospital for minor injuries (stitches mainly) and my bike sustained about $700 in damage. Is there anyway I can recover medical expenses and bike repair costs? Thanks!

Asked on 9/24/09, 1:46 pm

2 Answers from Attorneys

Michael Hendrickson Law Office Michael E. Hendrickson

Yes, you could sue the operator of this van in small claims court for up to $5K for your damages if his insurance company refuses to pay your claim(s).

Read more
Answered on 9/29/09, 5:01 pm
Lesly Longa Longa Law P.A.

Yes, you should start by contacting his insurance company.

Read more
Answered on 9/29/09, 6:26 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Personal Injury Law and Tort Law questions and answers in District of Columbia