Legal Question in Credit and Debt Law in Florida

My ex husband who's 76yrs old and retired and I have not had contact in over 3 yrs. I do not know how to get a hold of him, as he changed his number. He and I still have a joint checking account that I am unable to close out without his signature, per the bank. I am 71yrs and still working. My paycheck is directly deposited into this account. Apparently he owes a collection and the attorney offices of Lloyd & Mcdaniel PLC wiped this account to a $0 balance. I was not notified of this until I went to the bank to remove some cash. This account can show the only money being deposited is my employer and nothing else. Is this legal? Is there any way to get this money back?

This happened yesterday and I was given this information when I was at the bank. We have been divorced for more than 5 yrs and have not spoken in over 3.

Asked on 3/04/23, 8:30 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

David Slater David P. Slater, Esq.

You should have been served with the Court Order claiming a garnishment. You were to file opposition. If you were not served, file motion to vacate garnishment and reimburse explaining all the funds were yours and submitting your proof.

Read more
Answered on 3/04/23, 1:10 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Credit, Debt and Collections Law questions and answers in Florida