Legal Question in Criminal Law in Florida


Hi, my son who turned 17 a few weeks ago was arrested with another kid and placed in the main lock up Broward. For attempted robbery with a fire arm. Another kid in bad situation 4.0 GPA private school until public school met wrong kid and here we are. They had him in Juv. but transferred to Adult Courts. What are we looking at....Public Defender not to clear with us. (Son on bail 25K)

Asked on 1/29/09, 10:37 pm

3 Answers from Attorneys

Joseph Vredevelt Best Vredevelt & Associates


As the other attorneys have said, your son is facing a very serious charge that holds with it a minimum mandatory sentence. My one issue is that they filed this in adult court, therefore, it seems to me that your son may have some priors. It would be very important for any attorney to get this case back down into the juvenile system or at least speak with the prosecutor about a potential youthful offender deal. If you need any further help do not hesitate to give me a call or email. All My Best, Joseph Vredevelt 305.670.3119

Read more
Answered on 1/30/09, 12:32 pm
Leland Garvin Garvin Law Firm


Sounds like he was "direct filed" into the adult system.

This is a serious charge that will carry a minimum mandatory sentence, however your son should be eligible for a Youthful Offender sentence which will allow a judge to sentence him below the minimum.

To better answer your question of what he is facing I will need to know some more information like: prior criminal history, who the Judge is, what the victim wants to happen, and other factors.

If you would like to give me a ring we can chat further, my office is here in Broward where I previously worked as a prosecutor in both the juvenile and felony divisions.

Take care,

-Leland 954.524.2424

Read more
Answered on 1/29/09, 11:04 pm
Robert M. Perez Law Office of Robert M. Perez, State and Federal Criminal Defense


Your son is facing a possible minimum mandatory sentence because of the firearm. However, I would need to know much more before I could give you what your options are at this point. You can reach me directly at 305.798.5563 at any time to setup a free consultation.

Read more
Answered on 1/29/09, 11:21 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Criminal Law questions and answers in Florida