Legal Question in Criminal Law in Florida

As the victim of an alleged aggravated battery can I discuss with the state attorney to not go through with the charges against my fiancé?

Asked on 12/22/21, 7:59 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Eric Trabin Lucid Legal, PLLC

Yes you can. As the alleged victim, Florida law provides you with the right to provide input and to be heard. You are absolutely allowed to tell the state that you do. It want to go through with prosecution against your fiancé. However, the right to provide input does not guarantee that the State will do exactly what you want. When a person asks the State to drop charges, the prosecutor often considers the reasons why before making a decision to proceed or dismiss the case. So even though you can certainly discuss the charges with the State and whether you want them to prosecute your fiancé, the prosecutor has the final decision.

Read more
Answered on 12/22/21, 8:30 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Criminal Law questions and answers in Florida