Legal Question in Discrimination Law in Florida

Where do I go for racial discrimination at the workplace

I am being racially discriminated at my place of work. I have documented on paper every event which have occurred. What do I do, who do I talk with, and where should I seek help when HR would not even touch the case at work because the person who is doing this to me is the chief engineer. The head of HR told me ''If that happened, Chris, I'm sorry to hear that, but we cannot do anything for you.''

I am terrified to go to work every day and often wonder if I have a job the next day.

Please guide me in the right direction or can you assist me?

Thank you

Asked on 4/27/01, 1:23 pm

2 Answers from Attorneys

Frank Shooster Shooster Kahn & Kleinman, P.A.

Re: Where do I go for racial discrimination at the workplace

Normally you are required to comply with any internal policies established to combat discrimination. Start by checkingt he employee handbook. There are exceptions. You really should talk to a lawyer before submitting a written statement to the company. You are normally required to cooperate in any ensuing investigation. You must act promptly. You have 300 days to make an EEOC complaint in Florida, and 360 days to complain to the florida Commission on Human Rights. You have four years to sue under Federal civil rights law. This area of the law is quite complex. You shouldnt try to do it on your own.

Read more
Answered on 6/18/01, 7:52 pm
Elliot Goldstein Law Offices of Elliot Jay Goldstein

Re: Where do I go for racial discrimination at the workplace

What type of documentation and proof do you have of the racial discrimination?

Before you can take legal action, you need to file a claim with the Equal Employment Opportunities Commission (E.E.O.C.). This is a federal agency. You can easily locate them on the web. There is an extremely short statute of limitations. You need to file the claim a.s.a.p..

You should schedule a formal consultation with a lawyer. A good means of obtaining an attorney referral is by contacting the Florida Bar association, or your local county bar association. They probably have a web site and

charge a nominal fee for the referral. If you are located within my geographic area, I would be happy to provide you with a free � hour

consultation. Most attorneys either provide a free initial consultation, or charge a nominal fee.

Good Luck, Elliot Jay Goldstein (I also have a Tampa office)

The above information is provided as a courtesy, without any consideration and without knowledge of the specific facts. Do not rely on this

information. Seek a formal consultation with an attorney.

Read more
Answered on 6/26/01, 11:33 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Other Discrimination Law (Age, Race, Sex, Gender) questions and answers in Florida