Legal Question in Family Law in Florida

I am the custodial parent of two sons. both have the same father, but the father and i were never married. we lived together for 12yrs. we currently live in broward county where the children go to school. i work in palm beach county which is approx 40 miles from their fathers home. i want to move the boys and myself closer to my job.

currently, their dad works from home. he drops boys off and picks them up from school. when i get off from work and go to pick them up from their father, he often refuses to give them to me. he is trying to alienate the boys from me and i really believe that he is doing psychological damage to them. he has called me terrible names in front of the children and has told them i have betrayed them by moving out.

being that i am custodial parent, am i within my rights to relocate them without getting permission from their father? we do not have a legal visitation schedule, my custody papers state he has visitation at my descretion, but he refuses to give them to me and the police would not remove them from his home without a legal schedule. i would like to have boys full time until a legal schedule is filed. i cannot afford an attorney.

Asked on 9/04/13, 8:41 am

2 Answers from Attorneys

David Slater David P. Slater, Esq.

If Over 50 miles, you need court permission.

Read more
Answered on 9/04/13, 8:48 am

John Smitten Carey and Leisure

Agree. If Over 50 miles, you need court permission.

Read more
Answered on 9/05/13, 2:39 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Florida