Legal Question in Family Law in Florida


My husbands divorce and custody final judgement was 2 years ago his ex was awarded residential custody of their son. She gave him to us 6 weeks later we have had him since, now she is having finacial troubles and wants him back so she can get childsupport. She said since she has a court order we have to comply. What can we do he starts school in 6 days? I don't want to hand him over and wait for court it will mess up his schooling.Not to mention after 2 years of solely supporting him finatially I can not afford to pay her child support. Please Help!!!!

Asked on 8/13/07, 11:10 pm

2 Answers from Attorneys

Scott R. Jay Law Offices of Scott R. Jay

Re: custody

NOTE: This communication is not intended as and should not be interpreted as legal advice. Rather, it is intended solely as a general discussion of legal principles. You should not rely on or take action based on this communication without first presenting ALL relevant details to a competent attorney in your jurisdiction and then receiving the attorney's individualized advice for you. By reading the "Response" to your question or comment, you agree that the opinion expressed is not intended to, nor does it, create any attorney-client relationship, nor does it constitute legal advice to any person reviewing such information, nor will it be considered an attorney-client privileged communication. If you do not agree, then stop right here, and do not read any further.

You will have to file an emergency motion with the court to try and modify the custody order. Failing such, the mother may have the right to get the child back and your husband will have to pay child support.

Scott R. Jay, Esq.

Read more
Answered on 8/13/07, 11:25 pm

Re: custody

The father needs to petition for modification of custody. If he has had the child for two years and things are going well, there is a good chance that will get primary residential custody with visitation with the mother. In such case, she would owe him child support.

Between the fact that she gave up the child after just a few weeks and that her life does not sound stable at all, I think you have a good case for permanent custody.

Read more
Answered on 8/15/07, 9:02 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Florida