Legal Question in Family Law in Florida

I was just recently told that since I wasn't married to my daughters father when she was born he has no legal rights to her. He did however sign the birth certificate but hadn't had anything to do with her since nor has he paid child support. My now husband wants to adopt her, since her father has no rights to her can my husband adopt her with out her father signing any paper work or intervening?

Asked on 12/02/11, 8:21 am

2 Answers from Attorneys

David Slater David P. Slater, Esq.

No. You need his consent as he is the father.

Read more
Answered on 12/02/11, 9:18 am
Cory Schnepper Levine, Busch & Schnepper, P.A.

The Court would require you to make a search to find him to see if he is claiming anything.

Read more
Answered on 12/05/11, 7:15 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Florida