Legal Question in Health Care Law in Florida

How can I help someone who needs medical attention but refuses to go for any treatment ?

Asked on 5/22/20, 12:40 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

If the individual is an adult and mentally competent, there is not much you can do. If he/she is mentally incompetent, you could petition the court for guardianship. A mental capacity test would be conducted. If you truly think the individual poses a serious threat of critically harming him/herself or others, you can call the police. The police may take the individual to a psychiatric facility to be involuntarily evaluated for 72 hours per Florida Statute. If the individual is admitted, sometimes it is difficult to have them released even if you agree he/she should be released.

Read more
Answered on 5/23/20, 7:53 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Health Care Law questions and answers in Florida