Legal Question in Immigration Law in Florida


My name is Evandro, I am Brazilian and I am gay. I applied for asylum in 2001. and my case was pending for 5 years. Well, when I was supposed to go to court, my attorney instructed me to apply for self departure (because I didn't want to stay in the US ilegally) because Brazil was accepting same sex civil union and my case was going to be denied. Well, the only way for my partner and I to stay together legally, was to move to Brazil. So we did it. He is an American, from Mississippi. Here, in Brazil, he has all his paperwork, his RNE (equivalent to a Green-Card), his Driver's licence, etc...

Now that we have our financial situation organized and we bought our house, I would like to go back to the US to visit my friends and my partner's family, but an attorney here told me that I have to stay out of the US for 10 years. I don't even know if that is true or not. But anyway, he also told me that I could apply for a waiver but that was going to cost me US$4,000.00 and I don't have that money... Can I apply for a Self Depparture Waiver myself? If so, how can I do it?

Thank you very much and have a great day.

Asked on 10/13/11, 3:34 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Latangie Williams Law Office of Latangie Williams, P.A.

Evandro, please contact my office for a free consultation at 904-576-2581 or email me at [email protected].

Read more
Answered on 10/22/11, 7:14 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Immigration Law questions and answers in Florida