Legal Question in Immigration Law in Florida

my husband has a work visa, Im can be here as his wife, but now, we are separated and he threaten me with divorce, and if it happen, Im going to lose my status, have to return to my country and he is going to take the kids with him, just one of them is american citizen. I want to know if I have any right. Thanks.

Asked on 12/27/12, 7:40 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Marlene Hemmings Marlene Hemmings, Attorney at Law

If you get divorced, then you will no longer be considered a dependent of your husband's visa status & would either need to leave the country or find another non-immigrant visa to apply for on your own.

As for the custody issue, you would need to speak with a Family Law Attorney in Florida, but you definitely have rights to your children in the United States, so don't let your husband threaten you.

Good Luck.

Read more
Answered on 12/28/12, 8:35 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Immigration Law questions and answers in Florida