Legal Question in Insurance Law in Florida

My doctor a long time ago messed up a preauthorization for a procedure I underwent, even though his office told they had gotten the approval and I paid my co-pay. The EOB from my health insurance company says the doctor's office made the mistake and that was why they would not pay the claim. the EOB also said the doctor was prohibited from billing me for it and owed me a refund on anything I already paid. But the doctor's office is now saying I have to pay the bill anyway or they will report the balance on my credit report and also sue me for it. This dr be a provider of the insurance company to.

I don't want no lawsuit or bad credit, how can I stop this? Is there a state agency I can complain to about this? Can I get my money I have paid back? Thank you in advance.

Asked on 4/17/17, 7:19 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Barry Stein De Cardenas, Freixas, Stein & Zachary

Did you provide the explanation of benefits to the doctor that says all that? provide that to the doctor's office. if he has a contract with the insurance company that provides for that he must honor it. deal with the doctor in writing. make sure you provide them the written confirmation of what you say above from the insurance company. if the bill is not due and they report it you can have a fair debt collection practices claim against the doctor. seek some legal help to review all your paperwork.

Read more
Answered on 4/18/17, 5:42 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Insurance Law questions and answers in Florida