Legal Question in International Law in Florida

lady scammed my momma

my mom sent a lady 850 money gram. from KY to FL. There are texts on both ends agreeing this money is for a yorkie puppy, shipping, and insurance costs. She never shipped the dog, later contacted me and asked for personal information to help her pay the ''rebooking'' fee. I gave her info to a prepaid card, and alerted every agency known to the US when she didn't follow through with the dog. What legal action could be taken? I do not care if it is the puppy, the money, or a form of punishment.

Asked on 10/31/07, 5:46 pm

2 Answers from Attorneys

Lawrence Graves Coolidge & Graves PLLC

Re: lady scammed my momma

OK, nothing international about this query, but:

For this kind of amount in controversy, it is best to handle in small claims court if your state permits actions against out-of-state defendants -- ask at your courthouse. You can hire a FL lawyer to send a "civil theft demand letter" which, if ignored, gives you rights to attorneys' fees and multiple damages, but this probably means your spending money on legal fees that you might not recover; VERY easy to rack up a lot more than $850 in fees and costs. Unfortunately, if the defendant doesn't want to pay up, you would have to hire a FL lawyer to get a KY judgment recognized and enforced, so either way you are in a tough spot. If you tell us where in FL the person lives, I may be able to give you a referral to a local lawyer down there.

Best wishes,


Read more
Answered on 11/01/07, 11:01 am
Michael Stewart Michael D. Stewart

Re: lady scammed my momma

Sounds like breach of contract in Florida court. Depending on facts perhaps other things like civil theft.

Read more
Answered on 10/31/07, 6:08 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More International Law questions and answers in Florida