Legal Question in Employment Law in Florida

i am a bartender and i recently got my check on sat. they decided to go in and change my hours only by like 23 min but that was the over time i was in for that week. i confronted him about it and he acted like he didnt know anything about it but all our hours are computerized so in order to change it they would have to do it manually. i have been working for this company for 4 years and i just caught this now so i wonder how long its been going on. but isnt it against the law for them to do that? what can i do about it?? i am a single mom so its kinda hard for me to just quit and find another job. its hard enough already out there with jobs.

Asked on 6/13/10, 6:06 pm

2 Answers from Attorneys

David Labovitz Labovitz Law Firm, P.A.

You bet. This sounds like it would be a serious wage and hour violation. You should contact a local attorney to look at your claim more closely.

Read more
Answered on 6/14/10, 9:26 am
Scott Behren Behren Law Firm

Yes its a violation of the Federal Fair Labor Standards Act or FLSA. Also have they been giving you all of your tips? Under the FLSA you can go back up to 3 years to look at their time records to see what overtime you are owed.

You can contact an employment law attorney like myself or report the issues to the U.S. Department of Labor.

Feel free also to check out my web site or my employee rights blog at

Read more
Answered on 6/16/10, 11:06 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Labor and Employment Law questions and answers in Florida