Legal Question in Personal Injury in Florida

Hit by drunk driver while on road bike

If you are hit by a drunk driver while riding your bicycle and you suffer no serious damages other than a destroyed bike and some deep contusions, can you get anything out of the case? Had he hit me a millisecond later I could be in a much worse state right now, and since I had a cousin who was killed by a drunk driver, its not really easy to forget. The police arrested him and towed his car, but that isn't enough for me. I tried to ride with friends on a borrowed bike, but I found no joy as I usually would because that incident was in the back of my mind the whole time. Any information on what I can do would help.

Asked on 6/28/09, 8:39 pm

3 Answers from Attorneys

Lesly Longa Longa Law P.A.

Re: Hit by drunk driver while on road bike

If you were injured as a result of someone else's negligence, then you can recover against the insured, negligent driver. How much depends upon the extent of your damages to your person and to your property (i.e. bike). Hopefully you reported the matter to the police. Best of luck.

Read more
Answered on 6/29/09, 10:13 am
William Gwaltney William W. Gwaltney, Attorneys at Law

Re: Hit by drunk driver while on road bike

Obviously you reported it, your post says the driver was arrested.

You should consult an attorney who handles personal injury cases and let them review your case. My office handles these cases on a regular basis, but you did not indicate your zip code. In personal injury matters most attorneys only get paid if they recover damages on your behalf.

As you say, luckily your injuries were not more severe, but that doesn't mean that you can't recover some damages from the driver and/or his insurance company. Call an attorney.

Read more
Answered on 6/29/09, 10:56 am
Michael Tobin Michael M. Tobin, P.A.

Re: Hit by drunk driver while on road bike

Even if you have no visible or permanent personal injury you still have a claim for punitive damages against the drunk driver to prevent a repetition on his flagrant conduct.

Read more
Answered on 6/29/09, 1:03 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Personal Injury Law and Tort Law questions and answers in Florida