Legal Question in Real Estate Law in Florida

Breaking an Apartment Lease

My husband and I signed a 7 month lease on an apartment. He has a business in another state that someone was running while we were living here. The person has left his business and he needs to return. We have given the apartment 60 days notice that we will have to vacate due to business reasons. They won't work with us on the remainder of the lease. We have never received a copy of the lease so we don't know where we are. We, of course, would forfeit our deposit, but as I stated they won't work with us. What is our liability? Can a lawyer help us in our situaton?

Thank you

Asked on 4/03/02, 6:02 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Peter Gonzalez Sanchez-Medina, Gonzalez, Quesada, Lage, Crespo, Gomez & MachadoLLP

Re: Breaking an Apartment Lease

The landlord should give you a true and complete copy of the lease. Your liability exposure is the remaining lease payments until the end of the Term of the lease, and depending on the language of the lease, late fees, interest, costs and attorney's fees associated with collection efforts. Demand a copy of the lease and seek the advice of a real estate litigator in the county where the property is located.

Read more
Answered on 4/04/02, 10:40 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Real Estate and Real Property questions and answers in Florida