Legal Question in Wills and Trusts in Florida

My mother, 75, has been advised that she should have my name removed from her checking account. Is this correct? If so, why?

Also, she was told that if she had to move into a nursing, since her house is in her name the nursing home could not take it from her. Is this true? Should the house be in my name?

Asked on 4/10/12, 10:42 am

2 Answers from Attorneys

Sanford M. Martin Sanford M. Martin, P.A.

Advice in such situations requires more information. Much depends on the legal

capacity of your mother, whether she has executed a DPOA, whether she is

interested in medicaid benefits, what her preferences are regarding estate

beneficiaries, etc. No simple answer fits all situations.

Read more
Answered on 4/10/12, 11:02 am

David Slater David P. Slater, Esq.

You should be dealing with an Elder Care attorney. There are Medicaid and tax implications involved. Call me if you need a referral.

Read more
Answered on 4/10/12, 11:23 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Probate, Trusts, Wills & Estates questions and answers in Florida