Legal Question in Bankruptcy in Georgia

After divorce my husband has been paying my alimony and property division. In 2009 he filed for bankruptcy (chapter7) and didnít put my name to the creditors list. He is in arrearage to me but he said that I have to get this money at bankruptcy trustee. I filed proof of claim and sent at trusteeís office. They promised to pay but it was just promise. What can I do in this situation and is there a chance?

Asked on 2/03/13, 5:28 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Scott Riddle Law Office of Scott B. Riddle, LLC

You need to see a bankruptcy lawyer or your divorce lawyer and stop relying on your ex for legal advice about the case. The Trustee is not your lawyer. In 3 years most Chapter 7 cases are long closed, and very few have any money to go to anyone. You probably should have continued to get paid all this time, but because you believed your ex you did not. Call your divorce lawyer tomorrow (or another lawyer), and they can check the bankruptcy records to see the status of the case and whether anything needs to be done in the case. Otherwise, they can pursue your ex for the money owed.

Read more
Answered on 2/03/13, 5:35 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Bankruptcy Law questions and answers in Georgia