Legal Question in Credit and Debt Law in Georgia

I recieved a summons saying I am being sued $1,270.87 by Frederick Hanna & Associates for Capital one there is no court date or anything what do I do??

Asked on 8/18/10, 8:12 pm

4 Answers from Attorneys

Glen Ashman Ashman Law Office also dba Glen Ashman Attorney

See a lawyer (today because if you delay you will lose automatically, and then they will take your paycheck, bank account and other assets).

My office handles such matters. Depending on the facts and your situation, you may be able to wipe out the claim in bankruptcy, or you may possibly have legal defenses. Regardless, if you wait to day 31, you have lost.

Feel free to call me if you're in metro Atlanta to discuss this.

Read more
Answered on 8/23/10, 8:31 pm

Hire an attorney to file an answer ASAP (or, risk losing, and file an answer yourself) Your answer and defenses and counterclaims MUST be filed within 30-days of being served with Summons and Complaint

Read more
Answered on 8/23/10, 8:31 pm
Scott Riddle Law Office of Scott B. Riddle, LLC

For $1280, you can save the money you pay a lawyer and pay the debt if it is a valid debt. You could pay several hundred dollars to a lawyer, and still lose the case and owe the money. If you can come up with at last half, you can call the law firm and offer a lump sum payment - just make sure the agreement is in writing, and you still have to meet all court deadlines until dismissed.

Read more
Answered on 8/24/10, 3:00 am
Paula McGill Attorney at Law

I agree with Attorney Riddle. You should talk with several lawyers to determine if hiring a lawyer for the litigation is the best use for your money. I charge anywhere from $500 to $1,000 to handle these type matters. In your case, paying these fees just to settle or lose your case would not make sense. At the same time, if you negotiate the matter on your own, make sure it's in writing and that you can make the payments as agreed. Otherwise, you may be in a worse situation than where you are now.

Read more
Answered on 8/24/10, 12:50 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Credit, Debt and Collections Law questions and answers in Georgia