Legal Question in Elder Law in Georgia

Declaring elderly parent incompetent

My mother-in-law resides in GA. She has been diagnosed as having Alzheimers. Has difficulty paying bills but appears to be able to care for herself, though we don't live near her to hard to say. She has difficulty paying bills correctly and we fear she may ruin her finances. How can we obtain control at least over her finances at this time. She also lives alone and we're trying to get her to move at least close to one of her family members.

Asked on 6/05/07, 9:25 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys


Re: Declaring elderly parent incompetent

You may want to get a third party, such as an elder law attorney, involved who can work with your mother-in-law to devise a plan that she is comfortable with. You will not be able to have her declared incompetent without a health care professional's evaluation that indicates she is no longer competent.

Read more
Answered on 6/05/07, 9:44 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Elder Law questions and answers in Georgia