Legal Question in Family Law in Georgia

Do I have entitlement for alimony, the family vehicle and my maiden name back since he has pleaded guilty to domestic violence in December and I have paperwork proving he has taken all my income for 3 1/2+ years in the 4+ years we were married. He was in jail for 69 days on domestic violence charges and when he got out he took our vehicle all our funds and left me on the street. I am relying on friends for a place to sleep and food stamps to get by.

Asked on 2/03/16, 1:35 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Glen Ashman Ashman Law Office also dba Glen Ashman Attorney

You can restore a maiden name in a divorce regardless of anything else, so his conduct is irrelevant to that. His conduct is rather irrelevant to alimony, which is based mostly on your future needs and current finances (which we again don't have a full picture about). What happens to a vehicle depends on facts we do not have. What you need to do is see a lawyer to determine what makes sense to pursue in your case. There's no way to analyze that with a few sentences of information.

Read more
Answered on 2/03/16, 3:14 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Georgia