Legal Question in Family Law in Georgia

I am leaving my husband but vant leave till I buy a house if I do this will he be able to take half th he house or will I have to sell it and split the money? I cant a afford rent so mortgage is cheaper.

Asked on 3/14/19, 9:32 am

1 Answer from Attorneys


If you buy the house before you leave (and are divorced), he may be able to claim it as marital property and get half

Rent one of those weekly places for about $140 per week until divorce final

Best thing to do is hire local divorce attorney (or at least consult with one) who may be able to get you exclusive temporary use of marital home during the divorce proceedings (he won't be allowed in there or allowed to harass you)

my 2-cents

Read more
Answered on 3/18/19, 11:29 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Georgia