Legal Question in Wills and Trusts in Georgia


My grandmother left some propety in her name without a will, she had 12 childrens all are dead but 2 are still living. Her daughter have been paying the tax on her property for over 20 years, the property is still in my grandmother name what do i have to do, to transfer the property in my mother name or my name. help

Asked on 12/02/06, 9:32 pm

2 Answers from Attorneys

Glen Ashman Ashman Law Office also dba Glen Ashman Attorney

Re: Deeds

In not doing probate and then having people die, you have taken a small problem and made it into a huge possibly expensive mess. Assuming she had no living spouse, each child got 1/12 of the property. The ones who died didn't lose their share - their heirs (likely their children and spouses) own it. So you have at least 12 owners, and maybe dozens. The estate must be probated, and after that it will have lots of owners, and the only way to divide it, unless every heir agrees (and none are minors) is going to likely be to sell it. Since you waited until heirs died, the expense of doing this has likely grown a great deal. (All this is based on your posting, and details may add other complications or twists to this).

Read more
Answered on 12/02/06, 9:46 pm

Re: Deeds

You will need to employ a lawyer to help you put an end to what amounts to the danger that your family will lose any right that it has to claim the property. Please call me if you would like to discuss what employing a lawyer will entail.

Read more
Answered on 12/03/06, 1:19 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Probate, Trusts, Wills & Estates questions and answers in Georgia