Legal Question in Immigration Law in Idaho

On USCIS form I-90, renewal of permanent resident card, online version, the renewer is to state their 'Class'. This question is not hyperlinked to an explanation, so I called USCIS Customer Service- (select Change of Address - #3, then #1 to get to a live person). The Customer Service Rep 'was not authorized' to tell me what theoptions were for 'Class', though she did say that Class means Class of Admission. She did not know whether the coding under 'CATEGORY' on the old card is the same as Class of Admission. does anyone know? I am filling out my elderly mom's renewal, and she cannot remember the details.

Asked on 6/29/10, 6:25 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Luba Smal Smal Immigration Law Office

The USCIS customer service representative couldn't answer your specific question because they are not attorney and not authorized to give callers "legal advice" and/or tell what to put on the applications. For legal advice, consult a lawyer. Even a lawyer can't tell you what to put on the form when you ask a question on a public forum instead of via email, phone or in-person confidential consultation.

It's very important to select a proper reason on the page 2 of the form, otherwise, your application can be rejected (sent back to you).

The "application type" here does NOT mean a class of admission (how she was admitted to USA years ago). If you choose not to consult a lawyer, read carefully a NEW edition of the form I-90 and instructions to the form. You are to select a "status" and "reason for filing".

Note: The above response is provided for legal information purposes only and should not be considered a legal advice; it doesn�t create an attorney-client relationship. For more information or to schedule a consultation, please visit

I offer confidential telephone or email legal consultations and assist in matters of the U.S. federal immigration law to clients from all 50 States and internationally. If you�d like to schedule a telephone or email legal consultation, need legal advice or help, please let me know and I�d be glad to help you. Please email at Attorney [@] . Office Telephone line is 1-402-210-2040 (please EMAIL to schedule a consultation).

Read more
Answered on 6/30/10, 8:36 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Immigration Law questions and answers in Idaho