Legal Question in Construction Law in Illinois

Not sure my question went through. Resubmitting my question about a contractor who installed granite tile in my living room, dining room and two halls. He did not level the floor, and I have grout measuring from 1/8th to as much as one inch wide. I have plenty of photographs and I am still finding areas where there is no grout at all. What is my recourse?

Asked on 12/28/16, 3:31 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Is there a written contract - estimate at least? The law implies good workmanship in most contracts but a lot depends on what was expected. If the contractor breached the contract by failing to install per contract, you can consider withholding payment until the bad work is corrected, but that could result in a lien unless the contractor is willing to correct the work voluntarily. The contractor may take the position that the work is done and thus is a "warranty" issue, thus expecting payment before doing anything to correct bad work - you should have an attorney review ANY paperwork you have on this before making final decisions on how to proceed. And while you may not like the work, you should get a licensed home inspector and licensed contractor to look see and get on board with you if you need them for a lawsuit later - And there are other considerations such as not destroying the bad work because that can be considered destruction of evidence if not properly preserved.....Again, see an attorney - if you have a contract it may provide for attorney fees in case of a dispute.

Read more
Answered on 12/29/16, 6:10 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Construction Law questions and answers in Illinois