Legal Question in Employment Law in Illinois

I am an African American woman and I've worked at a government job for about 12 years. I've dealt with a lot of bullying, discrimination, retaliation, harassment, and just plain unprofessional behavior. For the most part, the behavior may or may not be anything provable that I can file complaints over. What I want to know is the best way to handle this situation since things occur almost all the time. How would I hire a lawyer who can constantly advise me on whether my rights are being violated? The last employment lawyer took my $250 for only 20 mins of consultation/advice and wouldn't answer my phone calls after that.

Asked on 5/02/14, 11:44 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Betty Tsamis Tsamis Law Firm PC

You should look for an attorney that is experienced and has a business model supporting counseling as opposed to just litigation. For example, some of my clients have engaged me only for behind-the-scenes advice, counseling and strategy. A traditional employment attorney will only be equipped to litigate cases as opposed to being a creative partner in problem solving with the employee. Ask questions and know what you will get up front.

Read more
Answered on 5/03/14, 5:14 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Labor and Employment Law questions and answers in Illinois