Legal Question in Medical Malpractice in Illinois

If I went to the hospital saying that after a night of going out, I woke up and thought that I had been drugged and/or raped and they only gave me a drug test, is that legal? They asked if i wanted the police involved and I told them I didn't because I wasn't sure what happened, but that I just knew I needed everything checked. The first doctor said it was too late for most "date rape" drugs to still be in my system. They didn't tell me that I wasn't going to get the rape kit, which was the whole reason I came. After sitting for about three hours, a different doctor came in with papers saying my diagnoses was substance abuse because the THC in my system. My friend and I were really in shock and didn't say much until the last nurse came in saying I could leave. I asked why I wasn't getting anything else done, or at least getting tested and the only thing she told me was that, most disease take a few days to show up in your system. I called back when I got home and that's when they told me that the only way I could get a rape kit done was if the police were involved. Which would've been fine with me if that was explained but nothing was at all.

Asked on 3/24/16, 10:38 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Michael R. Nack Michael R. Nack, Attorney at Law

If a person thinks they were raped, they should get the police involved. This seems like common sense to me.

Read more
Answered on 3/28/16, 6:37 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Medical Malpractice Law questions and answers in Illinois