Legal Question in Personal Injury in Illinois

Can I use transcripts from a Criminal Case case in a Civil case that I m pursuing for damages? I have a civil trial coming up and would like to use the criminal case transcript to prove the person was found guilty and use the persons testimony against them if they try to testify differently. Also, how do I get the transcripts admitted into evidence?

Asked on 9/12/16, 2:05 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Henry Repay Law Offices of Henry Repay

There are certain ways you can use the information, including, as you suggest, to impeach a witness. In my experience, however, watching individuals from time to time present cases without an attorney, more of the efforts are denied than allowed, even though, if done properly, the information would be admissible. Litigants often leave the courtroom extremely frustrated, feeling the system has let them down, when really they are just being held to the standards of evidence in place to protect the process. If this matter has any value, you may still be able to retain an attorney to take the matter to trial.

Read more
Answered on 9/12/16, 3:08 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Personal Injury Law and Tort Law questions and answers in Illinois