Legal Question in Social Security Law in Illinois

my son who was born out of wed-lock receives 700.00 from my social secuirty however he lives with me and his mother who does not live with me gets the check. I have a court order which give me 4 days out of the week with him however I have him after school until around until she gets off work every night. I signed for him to get the check but he is no longer in my home can I file for childe support?

Asked on 9/26/11, 2:49 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

The issue you are outlining has two prongs to it. First, a representative payee is the person designated by SSA to receive a beneficiary's check. SSA may, but is not bound to, use a court Order regarding custody for that purpose. The most direct method for you to take action is to visit a social security district office and apply to be your son's representative payee.

Read more
Answered on 9/27/11, 1:09 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Social Security Law questions and answers in Illinois