Legal Question in Workers Comp in Illinois

I'm currently under the age of 18, who plans on leaving their fast food job soon. If the employer doesn't pay me a check within the biweekly pay cycle, do I file a complaint to the department of labor in my area and will I be able to receive my check? In addition we never signed a contract, but I have been working there for nearly 20 hours. I contacted the department of unemployment security and they stated that I didn't really need a contract. I do have evidence that I worked there (photos, messages, contacts, etc).

Asked on 7/18/23, 9:28 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Charles Candiano Candiano Law Office

Workers' Compensation is a highly specialized area of law that concerns work-related injuries. Your question should be posted under employment law. That said, the general Rule is that the employer is obligated to pay an employee "not later than 13 days after the end of the pay period in which such wages were earned." The rule on separation is "Every employer shall pay the final compensation of separated employees in full, at the time of separation, if possible, but in no case later than the next regularly scheduled payday for such employee." It is simply not possible to force any employer to pay sooner. Unless there is something that you're not telling us, your concern seems like the definition of worry: "Interest paid on trouble before it's due."

If you are asking a question that I did not answer, please rephrase the question.

Read more
Answered on 7/18/23, 11:42 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Workers' Compensation Law questions and answers in Illinois