Legal Question in Bankruptcy in Indiana

Filed Chapter 7 jointly with my husband, before meeting with Trustee my husband dies. I have life insurance policies that my husband owned. Can the Trustee ask for that money?

Asked on 4/27/10, 2:34 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

C. David DuMond Law Offices of David DuMond

I am sorry for the death of your husband. Indiana law provides an exemption from creditors for proceeds of an insurance policy where the beneficiary is a spouse. Indiana Code 27-1-12-14. In which case, the trustee cannot claim the money. But you should confer with your lawyer about how to best present your exemption claim. Good luck.

Read more
Answered on 5/02/10, 1:03 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Bankruptcy Law questions and answers in Indiana