Legal Question in Construction Law in Indiana

property lein

I am a subcontractor subbing interior trim off of another sub....payment is 45 days overdue and he refuses to pay. The homes have been punched and should be about ready to close. Can I file a lein against those properties and protect my interest. This person owes me around 3200.00. Also which office would I file a lein at?

Asked on 12/16/07, 10:36 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

C. David DuMond Law Offices of David DuMond

Re: property lein

Indiana mechanic lien law is tricky, and much depends on who owns the property (owner occupier, development company, etc.,) and the kind of property (residential, multi or single, commercial, etc.) You should take a quick course on Indiana lien law, becasue these situations will become common over the next couple of years. A Notice of Intention to Hold Mechanic's Lien is required to be served on the owner-occupier homeowner, if there is one, within 60 days of you starting the job. So you might already be too late. Gather your facts and confer with a real lawyer as soon as possible. Good luck.

Read more
Answered on 12/17/07, 4:13 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Construction Law questions and answers in Indiana