Legal Question in Family Law in Indiana

My 12 year old nephew has been living with me since January 10, 2020. His parents are divorced and have joint custody, however, they both have agreed to give me custody of him with the terms that they can take him back whenever they feel the time is right. He has no health insurance and is way behind on vaccines. I will be able to add him to my health insurance plan through my employer but only if I have a judge signed document stating I have custody. I have never had to do anything like this before so I don't even know where to start. His parents are not financially able to pay anything to help so I am looking to do whatever is best at the lowest cost possible. Please help! Thank you

Asked on 5/28/20, 12:06 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Jay Rigdon Rockhill Pinnick LLP

Contact an attorney in your community to start guardianship proceedings. The parents will have to consent, and will not be able to just come back and get him unless a judge says it is OK. The court will then issue you an order granting custody.

Read more
Answered on 6/02/20, 8:15 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Indiana