Legal Question in Civil Litigation in Indiana

My ex boyfriend has been threatening to take me to small claims court stating he wants me to pay him what he paid for the car I've owned, titles been in my name, insurance, everything, maintenance for two years. I never signed anything or agreed. 2 1/2 years ago I had a car that died so he recommended a car for me to buy, so I bought this car only to die soon after purchasing. He offered to help ($1700) due to my inability to get yet another car so soon. I have to include he has a history of abuse, and controlling behavior and I was not sure if he is threatening me or he can legally do anything to me or sue me or repossess. As mentioned my car is in my name, and I never signed anything. I've been wanting to trade it in and be done with it for another vehicle but I want to know if he can do anything to me.

Thank you

Asked on 3/04/20, 12:37 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Jay Rigdon Rockhill Pinnick LLP

If he can convince a judge that he loaned you the money and that you had agreed to pay it back, he could sue you for what he loaned you. In situations like yours, courts are reluctant to believe that unless both sides agree that it was a loan, or there is a writing.

Read more
Answered on 3/05/20, 9:56 am

Related Questions & Answers

More General Civil Litigation questions and answers in Indiana