Legal Question in Civil Litigation in Indiana

I was with my ex-fiance for 5 years. During that time we had joint bank accounts and shared joint bills, including a morgage payment. After finding out that my ex was cheating with someone else i broke off the engagement.

I am and have been a full time student during the entire time we were together and during that time I took (not counting tuition, fees, or books) extra private loans out under my name. These loans totaled over thirty thousand dollars. What are my options to have my ex pay me back for 1/2 of these loans plus 1/2 of the interest that was and will be added to the total amount. These loans were extra loans that payed off OLD (mostly credit card) debt

They had nothing to do with my tuition fees and the money was depostited into our joint account and was used accordingly.

Am i out of luck on collecting his half of these loans or do I have other options?

Asked on 12/06/09, 5:59 pm

2 Answers from Attorneys

Burton Padove Indiana and Illinois Lawyer, Burton A. Padove

I would not say that you are out of luck. Have an attorney draft a letter to him, but have specifics, not jsut over thirty thousand dollars. Get your documentation together, for your debts and the deposits and payments. Hopefully, the letter will work, otherwise you will need to file suit and will be in the courts for years.

Read more
Answered on 12/11/09, 6:12 pm
Samuel Hasler Samuel Hasler

You will be in court. No cohabitation agreement means litigation. For some idea of what you are up against, take a look at this article:

Read more
Answered on 12/12/09, 6:52 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More General Civil Litigation questions and answers in Indiana