Legal Question in Personal Injury in Indiana

insurance stopped paying lost wages&medical, what do I do?

I was rear-ended May 1st. The people who hit me have no insurance. It happened in Indiana, I have Michigan insurance. My insurance paid one month's lost wages then told me yesterday they are denying benefits and lost wages, they don't believe the injuries are related to the accident. I have just started physical therapy, am under my doctor's care, and they were supposed to send more lost wages to me next week. This is under my uninsured part of my policy. Are they just seeing what I will do? My doctor is sending them the letter of my prognosis this week, they didn't even wait for this before they denied me. I don't want to get a lawyer, I planned on this money because I have a 5-year daughter to take care of. The insurance said because the MRI came back mormal, and there was only $1100 damage to my car that these injuries are not because of the accident. Someone please give me some legal advice!!!!

Thank you

Asked on 6/24/03, 11:29 pm

2 Answers from Attorneys

William Stern William Stern, P.C.

Re: insurance stopped paying lost wages&medical, what do I do?

You asked for legal advice. Get a lawyer. Welcome to the world where the insurance companies get to hire doctors who will tell them what they want to hear. Get a lawyer that does lots of this kind of work. If your doctor won't treat you while awaiting his money, have the lawyer refer you to a doctor that will. Bill Stern 248-353-9400

Read more
Answered on 6/25/03, 7:00 am
Regina Mullen Legal Data Services, PLC

Re: insurance stopped paying lost wages&medical, what do I do?

Ok, you don't want to get a lawyer, but then you can't realistically expect to get any relief here.

You can't "plan on" money that you don't have, and it is generally a mistake to think that insurance companies are going to give you the benefit of the doubt.

Michigan's no fault statute is pretty clear: you have to have sustained serious bodily injury to get out of the $500 mini-tort act.

I suggest at least speaking with alawyer with a record of suing and WINNING denial of benefits claims against Michigan insurance companies. At least you will have particularlized advice,and the most it can cost you is an hour of his/her time.

Read more
Answered on 6/25/03, 12:03 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Personal Injury Law and Tort Law questions and answers in Indiana