Legal Question in Real Estate Law in Indiana

I bought a car from an individual in october. He was my boyfriend at the time. The title is in my name, but he is a lein holder on the title. The purchase price on the car is $100. I have reciepts saying that I have paid the $100. The car is registered in my name, but the title is in his position. He is telling me he is coming to take the car without me knowing and is selling it tomorrow!! What are my rights?

Asked on 4/27/10, 6:12 pm

3 Answers from Attorneys

Jay Rigdon Rockhill Pinnick LLP

You can sue him for conversion if he takes your car. He is obligated to remove himself as lien holder if the amount you borrowed from him, to be secured by the car, has been paid.

Read more
Answered on 5/03/10, 7:43 am
Burton Padove Indiana and Illinois Lawyer, Burton A. Padove

I agree with Jay.

Read more
Answered on 5/03/10, 1:01 pm
C. David DuMond Law Offices of David DuMond

If you paid a hundred dollars for a car that was worth in the ballpark of a hundred dollars, or if he sold you a ten thousand dollar car for a hundred dollars cash and the balance as a gift, then you can sue the pants off your ex-boyfriend -- for conversion if he takes the car away, or maybe for slander of title if he refuses to give you the title. But if you and your boyfriend were pulling some shenanigans with the BMV over the value of the transaction, then your claim against the ex might not find favor with a judge. l say proceed with caution, call the cops if he comes for the car, confer with a real lawyer, and never do business with a boyfriend. Good luck.

Read more
Answered on 5/03/10, 1:35 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Real Estate and Real Property questions and answers in Indiana