Legal Question in Traffic Law in Indiana

I have been trying to get the title for a car my uncle owns. About six years ago, he got a DUI, and the state wanted him to get his vehicles out of his name because he they took his license, and in a year, they would allow him to get the titles back. Unfortunately, he transferred the titles to who he thought at the time was his friend, who also was living with him. His friend owes a lot of money to the state for child support and other things, and we have not been able to contact him. I tried to get information on the vehicle's title from the BMV, but the information they sent me was whited out. I believe that the state holds the title. How can I get it back? I've called the BMV and the Indiana Department of Revenue. The IDR said that I will need to get a warrant to get that information. How can that be done? I just want to be able to get the car in my name. Thanks for your help!

Asked on 3/06/11, 5:34 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Burton Padove Indiana and Illinois Lawyer, Burton A. Padove

I am not so sure that you will be able to recover the title. However, if you hire counsel you will be able to find out who had title now.

Read more
Answered on 3/06/11, 6:32 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Traffic Law questions and answers in Indiana