Legal Question in Family Law in Kansas

I live in Kansas and owe child support my ex wife wants me to sign over my rights so her new husband or boyfriend can adopt them if I do that dose that stop the child support or can she wave the child support

Asked on 7/08/13, 5:16 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Anthony Smith LawSmith

Your agreement is with the new husband/boyfriend. Your wife can opt not to sue you for back support, but she cannot waive it on behalf of the state or the children.. Her new man cannot adopt while you have parental rights. If you are willing to relinquish your rights, make a written contract with him, that he will accept responsibility for any past due child support that she (or the state) claims against you.. You should be able to find an attorney in your area that would draft such a subrogation agreement for you, for far less than the back support you owe.

Good luck

Read more
Answered on 7/10/13, 8:15 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Kansas