Legal Question in Real Estate Law in Kansas

Hello my name is Joseline Martinez and I am contacting you because I have a question to ask. I recently bought a tax sale home in Missouri and I realized that the previous owners were renting that home and that the tenant still live there. What can I do to resolve this little problem? I'm sure that those tenants don't know that the house was recently sold, so how would o approach them ? An should I go with a police or sheriff to explain the situation to them just in case they don't take it well?

Asked on 11/27/15, 8:35 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Anthony Smith LawSmith

You might write to them first. Lrt them know that they dont have to send anymore payments to the previous iwner. Decide if you want to be their landlord, or occupy the house yourself. If the former, tell the tenants to send their rent oayments to you. If not, you may need to tell them when to be out, and posdibly gi through the formal eviction process. You have a right to inspect the premuses, once tutle had been transferred to you. (Previous owner may have redemption rights) But, if you're concerned about your safety, ask a police officer or deputy to accompany you. Decide if you want to be their landlord, or occupy the house, then get advice from a civil practice attorney, in your area, to take the next step.

Good luck

Read more
Answered on 11/28/15, 9:50 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Real Estate and Real Property questions and answers in Kansas