Legal Question in Civil Rights Law in Kentucky

If i have been making a good effort payment a medical bill at a payment i can afford monthly. The bill has been turned over to a collection agency. Can they turn that in on my credit although i have been attempting to pay what i can monthly. I have spoken with the collection agency and they want to set me up on monthly payments which i cannot afford at this time.

Asked on 11/23/11, 9:16 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Andrea Welker Welker Law Office

They can, and they have. If you don't own property or have wages to garnish, then let the collection's agency know that you're judgment-proof and they can either take what you can pay or go take a hike because they've bought some bad debt. However, if they have you by the throat, try to negotiate a bit more with them, because otherwise they could seek judgment against you and garnish your wages, and it's likely to be a lot more than you can afford to have taken from your paychecks. If the debt owed is very significant, and you have no hope of paying it off, you might want to seek a consultation with a bankruptcy attorney to see if that's an option.

Read more
Answered on 11/27/11, 10:37 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Civil Rights Law questions and answers in Kentucky