Legal Question in Credit and Debt Law in Kentucky

I co-signed on an auto loan for my ex-boyfriend. We were both residents of Kentucky at the time. He bounced a check for the down payment on the vehicle and then refused to take care of the matter. The case has gone to court and they are now garnishing my wages for the amount of the down payment ($750) plus court costs ($173). I am still a resident of Kentucky, but my ex recently has moved in secret to Metropolis, IL. The loan company is currently attempting to repossess the vehicle, but no one knows where my ex is at this time. Am I able to take my ex to small claims court to attempt to recover this loss or would the cost of doing so exceed the amount i am trying to recover?

Asked on 2/11/13, 1:15 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Andrea Welker Welker Law Office

You'd need to track him down in order to get him served if you sue him, also to be able to enforce the judgment against him. That's why the car loan company is garnishing your wages, not his. They know where you are, and they'll get their money out of you. Frankly, if it were me, I'd be tempted to throw good money after bad just to track him down and hold him accountable. But there's also the saying that if you lend someone twenty bucks and you never see them again, it was probably money well-spent. That seems to hold true for car loans and boyfriends as well.

Read more
Answered on 2/11/13, 8:26 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Credit, Debt and Collections Law questions and answers in Kentucky