Legal Question in Credit and Debt Law in Kentucky

My friend divorced his wife in the state of Ky. The judge ordered him to give over to her the Harley he had purchased in his name only during their marriage. The divorce papers state specifically she is to assume possession and the payments for the motorcycle. My friend refused to give her the bike but his divorce lawyer told him he could be jailed if he did not turn it over to her as it was signed off in the divorce papers by the judge. The ex-wife took the bike out of state, did not make payments, and Harley repossessed the bike. Harley is threatening to sue my friend now for the difference for what the repossessed bike was resold for; approximately 8000.00. What can the poor guy do about this? Whoever is calling him representing Harley is threatening to take his home which is the family farm if he does not pay them.

Thank you so much for your advice.

Asked on 10/20/11, 6:30 pm

2 Answer from Attorneys

Andrea Welker Welker Law Office

He should get it from the wife. File a motion for contempt and ask that she either pay what's owed, or she goes to jail. That's the fun thing about family court. Normally you aren't going to end up in jail for not paying a debt, but when it's been court-ordered in family court, you will.

Read more
Answered on 10/20/11, 8:43 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Credit, Debt and Collections Law questions and answers in Kentucky